The First Feeding for Baby – Introducing Solid Foods
Doctors suggest beginning a baby on solid foods sometime between 4 and 7 months of age. Some babies are ready for solids as early as 3 months, but it is not recommended ; the sooner a baby gets started on solids, the greater probable that she’ll be susceptible to food allergies afterward.
In the beginning, solid foods will just become a supplement within your child’s primary supply of nutrition — breast milk or formula. So there is no got to worry in case you have not gotten your baby started on solids yet or if he is not eating just the maximum amount of solid food as you would like.
It is crucial to determine whether your baby is ready for solids before you decide to introduce them. Here are a few signs of your respective baby’s readiness :
Your baby’s tongue-thrust reflex is gone or diminished. This natural reflex, which prevents infants from choking on foreign objects, also causes them to be able to push food out of the mouths.
Your baby can support her own head. Even in case your baby can’t quite sit up on her own yet, she needs in order to hold her head up in an effort to start eating solids.
Your baby seems curious about food. If she is eying the food you are eating, reaching over to grab your food, or licking her lips when she smells new foods, she is probably craving the variety that has starting solids.
When you have a household history of food allergies, your baby is very likely to have them, too. If so, you may want to think about waiting until 6 or 7 months before starting solids. Allowing your baby’s digestive system to mature further might help reduce her probabilities of developing food allergies. You may even want to wait patiently a little longer than usual in case your baby was born prematurely ; premature babies often need additional time to master the suck-swallow-breathe pattern essential to handle solid foods.
The First Feeding
Since your baby it‘s still getting regular feedings of breast milk or formula, solid foods are just in the meantime. Keep this point fun and relaxed. In the end, you now possess the privilege of introducing your baby towards the rewards of enjoying good food — rewards she’ll hopefully enjoy for the remainder of her life.
It is better to get started by rice cereal for the baby’s first taste of solids. Here is how you can provide a baby his first taste of rice cereal :
1. Sit your baby upright, either inside an infant seat or propped inside a highchair with towels, blankets, and bibs. If she seems a little scared from the experience, you are able to try moving her onto your lap.
2. Provide a baby something to carry, say for example a baby spoon or perhaps a soft bread crust. This can give her something to pay attention to, which might free you to obtain a spoonful of something into her mouth.
3. Place a baby spoon (or a little coffee spoon when the baby spoon seems too large ), with about 1 / 4 teaspoon of rice cereal onto it, close within your baby’s lips. Give her a moment to smell and taste it. Do not be concerned if the first taste is rejected. Just wait a moment and check out again. Expect that a lot of the food upon the spoon will end up in your baby’s chin or bib. Once her face and bib is covered in food, do not forget to bring some adorable pictures to record the milestone !
4. Finish your baby’s feeding with breast milk or formula to satisfy her hunger. Fight the urge that will put food within your baby’s bottle. He needs in order to make the connection that tasty foods should be eaten sitting up and given by a spoon. This early experience can help lay the foundation once and for all eating habits throughout her life.
Do not force the difficulty in case your baby cries or turns away whenever you are attempting to feed him. It is more essential that you both enjoy this experience than It‘s to ensure that you stick for an arbitrary timetable. Go to nursing or bottlefeeding exclusively for every week or two, then try again.
The Second Feeding and Beyond
In case your baby’s first feeding goes successfully, try giving him rice cereal in a similar manner once each day for the following few days. Each feeding, you are able to boost the amount you are feeding him.
Once you‘ve got introduced a brand new food within your child, it is essential that you care your eyes open for signs of the food allergy. Signs that the child is allergic towards the rice cereal include :
- Bloating from the stomachIncreased gas
- A rash around her mouth or anus
- Runny nose or eyes
- Unusual crankiness
If your little one seems fine after three to four days, you are able to consider introducing another food, for example oat or barley cereal. Once your baby has mastered these, try introducing ground vegetables, fruits, and meats — in which order.
Always wait several days after feeding your baby a brand new food so that you could pinpoint any allergic reactions he could have. In case you suspect your son or daughter is showing signs of the food allergy, speak within your doctor immediately.
Food Dos and Don’ts
Whether you intend to server your baby commercially prepared baby foods or ones you earn in your own home, usually there are some general guidelines you ought to follow :
Prepared baby foods
Don‘t feed your baby directly coming from the jar unless you will know she’ll finish the entire thing. Bacteria from the baby’s mouth can contaminate leftover food.
Throw away jars of baby food inside a day or two of opening them.
Homemade baby foods
- Consider steaming, baking, broiling, or microwaving foods for the baby instead of frying or boiling — these cooking methods retain more of the food’s natural nutrients.
- Avoid preparing beets, turnips, carrots, collard greens, and spinach. In certain elements of the nation, these vegetables may contain large levels of nitrates and can also result in anemia in babies.
- Do not feed your baby egg whites, cow’s milk, or honey until she‘s a minimum of 1 year old.
- Avoid citrus fruits, for example oranges or lemons. These fruits are extremely acidic and can also lead to painful diaper rash.
If you‘re uncertain about any food, check along with your doctor before giving it within your baby.
Sources : American Medical Association; Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
Always seek the direct advice of your doctor in connection with any questions or issues you could have regarding your own personal health as well as health of others.